Candy Cane Play Dough
Looking for a fun, Christmas inspired sensory activity that doubles as a delicious smelling decoration for your tree?
Check out our Candy Cane Play Dough recipe! It’s great for enhancing fine motor skills and only needs a few simple ingredients that you may already have at home.
Ingredients and equipment
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup boiling water
- Red Food Colouring
- White Food Colouring
- Peppermint Extract essential Oil
- Mix together the flour, salt, cream of tartar, and oil in a large mixing bowl
- Pour in the water and stir the flour mixture until a dough forms. Knead the dough for a couple of minutes until smooth
- Separate the dough in half and create two balls. Make a small indention on the top of each ball and add red food colouring to one and white food colouring to the other
- Using gloves (to avoid stains), knead each ball to incorporate the food colouring throughout
- Make a small indention in the top of each ball, add 5-7 drops of peppermint extract oil and knead until all dispersed
- Twist the two colors around each other to create a candy cane, let it dry out and voilà – you have a perfect little homemade ornament to hang on the Christmas tree!
Made it yourself?
Email your photo to: [email protected] and we will feature it on our Facebook page
When you select Baptist Care SA as your registered NDIS Provider, we work with you to get the best out of your plan.
We listen to you to gain an understanding of your needs, then help you to find ways to work towards meeting those needs, whether it’s
- support in your daily life
- assistance to join in with your community
- help in building positive relationships
- or ways to improve your health and wellbeing.
At Baptist Care SA, our Disability Pathways team are committed to providing quality support and assistance with independent living.